Sunday 27 January 2013

Progress at 7 weeks 5 days and some other updates

One of the reasons for writing this blog is so that people considering the surgery, or booked in for it, or who had their surgery after mine, can see my progress and get an idea of how they will progress.

Obviously, everyone is different, and as a result we will not only all have different experiences of the surgery but also of the progress afterwards.

But I hope that this will give at least some idea of how the pain and mobility might be at certain points along the journey.

I realised that I forgot to mention a few things in my previous report because there was so much else to say.

Importantly, I wanted to mention that it took about 48 hours (two days) after the casts were removed before I could put my foot and toes totally flat on the floor without any pain.

I was surprised at how even that simple action was sore and difficult, but by two days afterwards, I was able to place the whole foot flat on the floor without difficulty, and put my weight through the whole foot too.

The first day I could, with effort, put my toes down, but there was no way I was going to put my weight on them! But the day after, I could do that too.

Now, at five days after the casts came off - I'll call it C-Day - I'm able to put all my weight on them happily, but I'm still wary of bending them as I walk, so I have a tenative way of walking that is slow and laboured.

But it's all progress, which is great.

I've labelled this post 7 weeks 5 days, which is actually yesterday, because I wanted to share yesterday's exercise pictures.



This one shows me pushing up on my toes on both feet. I have tried to hold a ruler so you can see how high I can get currently, but it's my black Filofax one and doesn't really show up well. I think I'll make a clearer one from cardboard for future pictures.

It's also not very accurate because the measurement doesn;t start at the edge of the ruler, but taking that into account you can see my heel comes up about 2.5inches.



This is just the left foot. I'm not sure if this one has more range of motion or if it's easier to push up on one foot at a time, but you might be able to see that this heel is around the 3-inch mark.

I promise I'll make a better ruler for next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment