Thursday 6 December 2012

Day 4. Let's talk about pain.

Being at home really makes a huge difference. While I'm missing the others on the ward, as we used to chat and now I'm upstairs on my own most of the time, I did at least get a brilliant night's sleep and that has made me feel so much better.

Today I've noticed that home beds are not as good as hospital ones, because I can;t adjust it so I'm getting a numb bum which is a bit painful.

Talking of pain, I still don't have any, which is weird.

I expected to be in agony. Almost everything I read told me I'd be in so much pain I'd want to cry.

But I'm not. Occasionally I get a painful twinge in my feet where the incisions have been made, usually but not always when I'm trying to hobble to the toilet, but there has been no real pain, which seems really odd.

Admittedly, I'm on painkillers, but only codeine, ibuprofen and paracetamol, so I'd expect to feel something, especially as I only take those every four hours four times a day.

Someone did say to me today that it's possible for the nerves to go into shock, and not feel anything for a few days, and that the pain sometimes then kicks in, so now I'm nervous about that and kind of waiting for it to happen.

It does seem odd that you can be cut open, have bone sawn, broken and pinned, and tendons moved, then be sewn up, and experience no real pain.

Or maybe giving birth at home with only gas and air has made me super-tough?

No comments:

Post a Comment