Saturday 1 December 2012

Another call from the hospital

The other day I got an unexpected call from the hospital.

A young-sounding girl called Cassandra told me it was a courtesy call to make sure I was OK about my forthcoming operation.

Which sounded positive.

Until she started asking me for my name and address, and whether I'd been to a post-op assessment, and when was my operation, and what time, and when was I nil by mouth from.

Don't they already know this stuff? Why phone me up to ask me?

She then asked me if I had any questions. Why yes, I do. I asked about anticoagulants, and where I am on the list, but sadly Cassandra was unable to help me.

"She probably just expected you to ask if you could take your slippers," said my Mum. "And to check you're going to turn up."

Ah, well, if that's the case, why not just ask that? I get that missed appointments cost the NHS hundreds of thousands of pounds each year, but calling me up and asking me basic questions they know the answers to is a waste of everyone's time and an insult.

I'm sorry to sound so down on a system that was once the envy of the world, but I do think the NHS needs to sort out its processes and stop wasting money with this kind of nonsense.

I really do hope they are more efficient at the actual surgery and care end of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment